That basement space currently storing your Christmas decorations and your off-season clothes has a ton of potential. In fact, finishing your basement could turn this underutilized space into one of the most enjoyable spots in your home—for a lot less money than the cost of an addition. In this month’s blog, the home construction and remodeling professionals at Oxland Builders in Stratham, NH share tips on finishing your basement.
Planning Your Finished Basement Layout
“When planning the layout of your finished basement, you should think of it just like every other space in the upper level of your home,” says Brad Sawler, owner of Oxland Builders. Sawler suggests the following guidelines when finishing your basement:
1. Go to the light. Save the brightest spot in your basement for your main socializing area. Natural lighting draws people in.
2. Plan for an egress. If you’re going to have a bedroom in your basement, plan on locating it at the perimeter so it can have a window egress.
3. Don’t be afraid of the dark. The darkest spots in your basement make great family rooms for TV-viewing. The darkness helps reduce glare and creates a cozy, home-theater feel.
4. Find space for your food. When creating storage space for your snacks and beverages, make sure you can access it without having to cross in front of your television.
5. Get Inspired. Before speaking with your builder about finishing your basement, gather some ideas by looking online. Pinteresthas some great basement refinishing and remodeling ideas.“Looking at other finished basement projects will help you come up with a floor plan that meets your aesthetic wants and functional needs,” Sawler says.
6. Know Your Budget. A critical part of planning your finished basement is knowing what you can afford to spend. “I always discuss a client’s budget in great detail so they know what their options are and understand how their decisions affect the final cost of their project,” Sawler explains. Unsure about what you should expect to spend when finishing your basement? Download Remodeling Magazine’s 2017 Cost vs. Value Report.
Help in Finishing Your Basement in NH Seacoast and Southern ME
Thinking about adding more space to your home by finishing your basement? Contact the experienced professionals at Oxland Builders. We’ll transform your underutilized basement into a space that you and your family can enjoy for years to come. Visit our website to learn more about our home remodeling and construction process.